Can you expect ongoing post-crash medical expense coverage?

On Behalf of | May 7, 2020 | Blog |

Wondering how to pay mounting medical bills after a devastating vehicle accident can only add to the stress of your injuries. If another driver caused the crash, you will probably be filing a claim for your expenses with his or her insurance company. 

What kind of compensation can you expect from a personal injury claim, and for how long? 

Coverage for medical expenses and lost wages 

Many car crashes cause severe, life-changing injuries, and if yours will require long-term treatment, it can be extremely expensive. The financial compensation you may be eligible to receive could include: 

  • Ambulance fees 
  • Consultations with health care professionals 
  • Physical or cognitive therapy 
  • Medical equipment such as crutches or a wheelchair 
  • Permanent disability 
  • In-home care 
  • Medications 

In addition, your injury from the vehicle crash may result in your inability to work for a period of time. You may have to endure a hospital stay followed by rehabilitation. You may even face a life-long disability. Personal injury claims typically include compensation for lost wages based on factors such as your occupation, experience, age and life expectancy. 

Compensation for pain and suffering 

Vehicle crashes and the resulting injuries do not happen without pain and suffering, including anxiety and possible emotional damage. You may be able to receive compensation consistent with the level of pain and suffering you experience because of the crash. 

Need for early medical assistance 

A vehicle crash as minor as a rear-end collision can actually cause serious injuries, and the symptoms may not show up right away. Regardless of the perceived severity of the collision, you should always seek a medical evaluation. This is important for two reasons. First, your health and well-being are at stake. Second, a medical report will connect any injuries you might have directly to the vehicle crash, which is essential when filing your insurance claim. 

When an insurance company offers you a settlement that is not enough to cover your ongoing and future damages, you may want to take the case to court. 

RSS Feed

FindLaw Network

Contact Our Firm